Monday 23 May 2011

Saving The World With Chocolate.

After making the transition to vegetarianism, and watching this video a few months ago, I have been on a quest to avoid dairy in my diet as much as possible. While the French side of me stubbornly refuses ever to give up cheese (vegetarian cheese is my compromise), I keep my eyes open for dairy alternatives wherever I can. Thanks to this pursuit I have recently discovered raw vegan chocolate. If, like me, you've ever been sceptical as to whether a dairy-free chocolate could taste like the real deal, the answer is a big, planet-loving, antioxidant-packed YES! And the fact that it is raw and unrefined means it is so much better for you. While it is not yet widely available, your local organic grocer or farmers market is likely to have a supply.

Alternatively, if you're partial to a bit of experimentation in the kitchen like me, you can try the following recipe, which I adapted from The Copycat Cook.

Peanut Butter Crunch Bars



Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups mixed raw nuts
1/4 cup ground flax seed (or linseed meal)
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
2 tbsp raw sugar or raw agave syrup
4 tbsp peanut butter (I use organic and 'cruchy')
4 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp raw honey

In a food processor, grind nuts until fine. Mix in a large bow with the flax seed, cacao powder and sugar.

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil and peanut butter together and stir until liquid. Take this off the heat and add the vanilla and honey, stirring to combine.

Put the liquid into the dry mixture and combine well. Press mixture into an ungreased loaf pan and chill in refrigerator until set (around 30 minutes). Cut into bars or smaller, bite-sized pieces and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

The result is a beautiful dessert or snack which is gluten, preservative and chemical free, mostly raw, vegan, and packed with antioxidants and healthy oils. Raw cacao is a well-known superfood, making this a (relatively) guilt-free way to get your chocolate fix. Délicieux!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...