Sunday 15 May 2011

Savouring The Moment.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure that you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow."
- Mary Jean Irion


I love this quote because it reminds me to enjoy and live in the moment, and to stop thinking ahead and trying to rush to the next part of my day all of the time. Even if the day doesn't bring with it anything out of the ordinary, every day is unique and full of possibility and a 'normal' day is such a blessing because who knows what might happen tomorrow?
I chose to enjoy my day by taking comfort in simplicity and nourishing my senses and stomach. While the skies threatened rain outside I took shelter in the kitchen and created a silky pumpkin soup, warming my body from my nose to the tips of my toes.
My recipe is exceptionally simple, but I think that's what makes it so delicious. With just a few ingredients, a warm, golden soup can be steaming away on your stove in no time, filling the house with a delicious aroma:

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled and coarsely diced
1kg butternut pumpkin, cut into 2.5cm cubes
1 litre vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
120ml milk (can be replaced with soy or almond milk for a vegan version)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, to garnish

Put the oil in a large pot and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the onion, ginger and garlic. Fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring consistently until the onion begins to turn golden in colour. Turn down the heat to medium and sauté for another 2 minutes or until the onion is light brown.

Add in the potato and pumpkin pieces and stir a couple of times. Add in the stock, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes.

Remove the bay leaves and blend the soup to a fine purée. Add the milk and stir to mix well. Reheat when ready to serve, and garnish with parsley. Makes enough for about 6 big bowls.



When the weather gets a little colder, there's nothing I like better than a good soup to fight off the chill from the outside, and to leave me feeling happy on the inside.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...